The report contains sobering numbers for Protestant and Catholic churches. Consider the following statistics:
- Only 11% of college-age “Millenials” were religiously unaffiliated at childhood. Today, 25% of college-age Millenials are unaffiliated.
- Only 23% believe that the Bible is the word of God, and should be taken literally.
- Only 26% believe that the Bible is the word of God, and should not be taken literally.
- 37% believe that the Bible is not the word of God.
- 54% believe that abortion should be legal in some or all cases.
- 59% believe that gays and lesbians should be allowed to marry members of the same sex.
- 64% believe that Christianity is “anti-gay”.
- 62% believe that Christianity is “judgmental”.
A summary of other stats in the report can be found here.
In short, the report is a nightmare for the conservative religious movement in America. If these trends continue, this movement will become progressively smaller and more marginalized. (Suffice it to say, no tears are being shed here.)
It seems, then, that if Christianity wishes to sustain itself into the next few generations, it has some serious rethinking to do. I look forward to seeing what it comes up with.